Friday, February 17, 2012

Yams vs. Sweet Potatoes

Do you think they are the same thing? I did. Some things have two different names, so I never realized they were different. Not that I have ever really loved them or indulged in them often. Now that I am concerned with sugar intake and juice most vegetables anyway, I though this was interesting.
Here is a quote about the two from a blog I enjoy reading...
 "Sugar is the devil when it comes to belly fat! I advise people to avoid eating more than 5-6 grams of sugar per meal. You want to significantly reduce love handles and belly fat, ditch sugar!

Here is a picture of nutrition facts for yams and sweet potatoes, both considered a quality complex carb. I prefer yams (orange inside) because they have by far less sugar, but still taste really good! Sweet potato's (Yellow inside) have 3 and a half teaspoons of sugar for 1 cup and more water retaining sodium."

So, the moral of the story is they are two different things and when you can, opt for the yams which are orange inside.

No comments: